Sopes are a great snack!
This is a shell which can hold lots of stuff. Carnitas, goat cheese and arugula, chicken and tomatillo salsa….
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/8th tsp kosher salt
- Mix masa, water, and salt until dough forms. May require more or less water depending on conditions, i’d start with a cup and go from there. If it’s too loose add for masa
- Let this sit for a while (maybe an hour) while you do other stuff
- Subdivide into balls. I like my sopes to be bite size, you may like them bigger. Bite size is ~20
- Meanwhile, heat 1 inch of oil in a dutch oven to 375
- Flatten them with the back of something flat (like a flat plate)
- Use your hands to pull up the edges so you have a little tiny deep dish pizza looking vessel
- Fry them a couple minutes, flipping once, until lightly golden
- Drain, top with stuff,eat
You can make these ahead of time and reheat with a quick trip to a griddle.