Roast chicken, one of life’s great pleasures. Cuban food, soon to take over the world. Combine.
I did this one spatchcock style, so I could use a marinade. I like the spatchcock method because it’s easy to ensure crisp skin, and the chicken cooks more evenly. Ymmv.
- 1 chicken
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mexican oregano
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion sliced thick
- salt and pepper
- Spatchcock that sucker.
- Liberally apply salt and pepper to bird.
- Mix other stuff in a bag.
- Put chicken in bag, move it around till everything is covered.
- Marinade ~2 hours
- When ready heat cast iron skillet on medium high till smoking
- Also heat oven to 400
- Take chicken out of the bag, leave onions behind (you will use them so don’t trash em)
- Pat chicken dry
- Put skin side down on skillet, brown skin 3-5 minutes.
- Once brown, flip put in oven
- Cook for ~30 minutes, or until done (~155 in center of breast, ~175 in thights)
- Rest chicken 10 minutes
- While chicken rests, heat a skillet on medium high and cook onions till just about charred.
- Cut chicken, serve with onions on top
Melissa Clark taught me how to spatchcock. Get your mind out of the gutter!