Alton Brown scared me away from stuffing. So now i make dressing. This one is derived from J. Kenji Lopez-Alt of Serious Eats; long name, food god. I make this ahead of thanksgiving and cook once the bird is almost done.
- 2 loaves italian bread, cut into cubes
- 8 tbs butter
- 2 lbs italian sweet sausage out of casing
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/4 cup minced sage leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 4 cups turkey stock
- 3 eggs
- salt & pepper
Directions – day before
- Oven to 250. Dry bread cubes on multiple baking sheets. 50-60 minutes. Don’t let the cubes brown, just dry.
- In a dutch oven, melt butter and cook sausage
- Once done, cook onions, celery, garlic, and sage – 10 minutes
- Remove from heat add half of stock
- Separately – whisk rest of stock, eggs, parsley.
- Stir egg mixture into sausage
- Fold in bread cubes.
- Butter a baking dish and fill with stuffing. Cover with foil, refrigerate
Directions – day of
- Heat oven to 350
- Cook dressing for 45 minutes to 150.
- Take off foil, cook 10 minutes more to brown top.
- Let cool for a few minutes, serve.
Leave a Reply