Old fashioned onion goodness. Strangely delicious. Your holiday table will thank you.
- 2 lb pearl onions
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 tbs wondra flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- A few grates of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups coarse fresh white bread crumbs
Directions – day before
- Blanch onions for 1 minute. Stop with cold water. Drain and peel
- Put onions back in pot, cover by 1 inch w/ salt. Boil, simmer, covered 20 minutes
- Melt 1 tbs butter, add flour, cook roux for 1 minute
- Add cream in stream, whisking all the way
- Simmer sauce for a few minutes, add pinch of pepper and nutmeg.
- Adjust salt.
- Put onions in a baking dish, cover in plastic wrap, refrigerate
Directions – day of
- Preheat oven to 350
- Melt butter in skillet
- Toast breadcrumbs
- Remove plastic wrap
- Top onions with breadcrumbs
- Cook till bubbling – 30 minutes
Derived from a recipe in a long ago Gourmet magazine.
Leave a Reply