Happy New Year! Have some deliciousness.
- 2 cups black eyed peas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ham shank
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped (hello trinity)
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- cooked white rice
- Soak beans with water and baking soda
- In dutch oven, sear ham shank a couple minutes all around, evac
- Reduce heat, sweat veggies
- Return shank to pot, add water to just cover
- Boil, return to simmer, cover and cook 2 hours.
- Skim scum a few times
- After 2 hours add peas, bay, red pepper
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer
- Cook 1 hour, uncovered
- Meanwhile make rice
- At the end of an hour, evac meat. Shred – remove really fatty parts. Return meat to pot.
- Adjust seasoning
- Serve over rice
If you haven’t figured out by now that the NYT cooking site is awesome. Maybe the original source of this recipe puts you over the edge.