Had this the other day at Gjelna. It was great. The cookbook version, with a couple tweaks, is pretty great too.
Spiced Yogurt Ingredients
- 1/4 tsp ground toasted coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground toasted cumin
- 1 thin greek yogurt
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
- 1 tbs chopped mint
- 2 tbs olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch salt
- 2 tbs water (more to thin)
Spiced Yogurt Instructions
- Put it all in a bowl and hit it with the stick blender.
- 1 pound carrots (2 bunches of mixed colors), halved and cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbs white wine (hey you get to drink a whole bottle!)
- 2 tbs water (or stock if you have that small an amount)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- spiced yogurt
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Place carrots, 2 tbs olive oil, salt + pepper, thyme, 2 tbs of orange juice in a bowl, toss to combine. Let sit while oven heats.
- Heat oven to 500
- Sear carrots in skillet over high heat until they start to brown (~3 minutes, the marinade has enough oil in it)
- Roast carrots for ~5 minutes
- Return pan to stove, add wine, 3tbs oj, water and cook to deglaze and reduce to sauce
- Taste, season
- Plate top with yogurt, sesame seeds, and cliantro
Props & Notes
Gjelina in Venice Beach is a great restaurant. This is the first thing i am making from their cookbook. I had to tweak it a bit to get it right, the cookbook version had too much oil and perhaps gjelina’s oven is hotter than mine.
The yogurt makes a lot of sauce. Need to find something else to do with it. I originally thought salmon, but after tasting it i decided no. Going to try it with lamb chops.
Try #1 – not quite hot enough pan, too much oil. carrots here are quartered, not halved and perhaps cooked too fast. changing those things for next time. Regardless, the flavor profile was spot on.
try #2 – better, less oil made it work better, halved carrots cooked better and took on more caramelization. i tried an icicle radish in the mix, that’s a no go.