Love me some tortilla soup. Add chicken and you have dinner.
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups crushed tomato
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 dried pasilla chile
- 1 dried california chile
- 1 tsp mex oregano
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado diced
- chicken cooked, diced or shredded
- 6 corn tortillas cut in to strips
- Queso fresco crumbled
- Chopped cilantro
- Seed chiles and tear in to shreds.
- Toast in small pan
- Cover in 2 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cook 15ish minutes
- Meanwhile, bring stock to boil, reduce to simmer
- Sweat onions + garlic + oregano till soft
- Combine tomato, onion mixture, and chiles w/ water in a vessel
- Blend with stick blender
- Pass through a chinos into stock.
- Salt (more than you think)
- Squeeze in juice of 1 lime
- Heat 1/2 inch of oil in skillet
- Fry tortilla strips in batches, drain on paper
- Plate chicken then avocado then queso fresco then crumbled cheese then cilantro
- Ladle soup onto stuff at table
Based on Rick Bayless’s recipe. Be careful not to overdo it with the cayenne.
Leave a Reply