This was a fine dinner and easy too. The potatoes and tomatoes are like a healthy version of fries and ketchup. Ok not really. The salmon done soups vide makes it easy, but you can cook it the normal way too. This is scaled for 2.
- 2 Salmon filets, skin off
- 8 Fingerling or baby potatoes. I like a mix of kinds
- 14 oz can of crushed tomato
- 1/2 onion, peeled
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 sprig basil
- Heat bath to 120
- Vac pack salmon with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper on hard suck
- Bathe salmon at least 30 mins
- Meanwhile, heat tomatoes, onion, butter, basil on low. You can add red pepper for zip if you like
- Meanwhile, boil salted water
- Boil potatoes 10 mins
- While that is going on heat two skillets (I use cast iron for potatoes and non stick for fish. Ymmv)
- Remove potatoes, pat dry
- In one skillet heat canola oil and put in potatoes
- Let them brown for a few mins, then smash, add on some salt, and flip
- Now evac the salmon and in the other skillet brown a minute a side. Evac to a plate
- In the tomato sauce, remove onion and basil. Stir adjust salt.
- To plate, put down tomato sauce, the potato, then salmon
Sous vide salmon and crisp skin just doesn’t seem to happen. Take the skin off.
This might be better without salmon, but with a poached egg on top.